The schedule for September/October 2019 is available here: https://cloud.timeedit.net/lu/web/lth1/ri1Q5006.html. Use the course schedule or lässchema links and enter EDAN20 to view the course schedule.
You need to attend the first lecture to be sure to keep your seat (or email the course leader before the course starts). You should formally register in the LADOK system, preferably before the course starts. You have the instructions here in Swedish and in English. If you fail to register, the department might register you anyway, if you attended the first lecture.
The first lecture will be held on September 2, 2019, 15-17. The lecture room is MH:Gårdingsalen
The course takes place in the HT1 “study period.”
You can register to a laboratory group here: hhttps://sam.cs.lth.se/LabsSelectSession?occasionId=594
The course introduces theories and techniques of natural language processing and language technology. It attempts to cover the whole field from speech recognition and synthesis to semantics and dialogue.
It focuses on industrial or laboratory applications, such as document retrieval on the Internet, information extraction, conversational agents, and verbal interaction in virtual worlds. Fundamental algorithms will be described using Python.
- An overview of language processing: presentation of language processing, applications, disciplines of linguistic, examples
- Corpus and word processing: regular expressions, automata, an introduction to Python, concordances, tokenization, counting words, collocations
- Morphology and part-of-speech tagging: morphology, transducers, part-of-speech tagging,
- Prolog to write phrase-structure grammars: constituents, trees, using Prolog to do natural language analysis, DCG rules, variables, getting the syntactic structure, compositional analysis to get the semantic structure.
- Syntactic formalisms: constituency and dependency, chart parsing, statistical parsing, functions, dependency parsing.
- Semantics: formal semantics, lambda-calculus, compositionality: nouns, verbs, determiners, words and meaning, lexical semantics, case grammars, semantic grammars
- Discourse and dialogue: discourse and rhetoric, anaphora, structure, RST, dialogue: automata, pairs, speech acts, multimodality.
- Overview of speech synthesis and speech recognition
Students can also use the first edition from 2006,An Introduction to Language Processing with Perl and Prolog. The electronic version is available for free: [pdf]. You need to be logged from Lund University accounts to have a free copy. The paper version of the first edition costs 25 euros: [html].
Ges: Läsperiod HT1
Kontaktperson: Pierre Nugues
Förkunskapskrav: Se kursplanen.
OBS! Kursen ges på engelska